Last revised: May 2, 2018
These Member Terms and Conditions affect your legal rights against Copart. You should read the entire Member Terms and Conditions carefully before accepting them. By placing a bid in a Copart auction, you represent and warrant to Copart that you have read and understood the Member Terms and Conditions in their entirety and that you agree to be bound by them in all respects.
Vehicles offered for sale on Copart's websites are sold through our patented Internet based auction selling platform. Copart's auction platform employs a two-step bidding process:
- Step 1 - Preliminary Bidding is an open bidding venue that allows a bidder to enter bids either at a bidding station at a Copart facility (see "Kiosk Preliminary Bidding" below) or over the Internet (see "Internet Preliminary Bidding" below). A bidder can see the current high bid on a vehicle during Preliminary Bidding. Bidders enter the maximum price that they are willing to pay for a vehicle and the BID4U feature (see Section II.D. below) will incrementally bid on the vehicle on their behalf during Preliminary Bidding and, if it is the highest Preliminary Bid at the end of the Preliminary Bidding Period, during the Virtual Sale. The Preliminary Bidding Period ends prior to the start of the Virtual Sale. During the Preliminary Bidding Period, Members may preview the offered vehicles either online or in person at the Copart facility where the vehicle is offered.
- Step 2 - Virtual Sale is a real time, Internet only virtual auction. Bidders have the opportunity to bid against each other and the high bidder from the Preliminary Bidding Period in real time. Bidders enter bids via the Internet in real time, and BID4U submits bids for the high bidder from the Preliminary Bidding Period, up to the bidder's maximum bid. When bidding stops, a countdown is initiated. If a new bid is received during the countdown, the countdown resets. In addition, Copart may also, in its sole discretion, extend or reset any countdown.
Bidding Overview: Here are the ways to bid on vehicles offered for sale on Copart's websites:
- "Kiosk Preliminary Bidding" - During the Preliminary Bidding Period, Members may submit Kiosk Preliminary Bids through designated kiosk terminals located in the lobbies of Copart facilities. Kiosk Preliminary Bids compete against Internet Preliminary Bids during the Preliminary Bidding Period. One hour after the close of the Preliminary Bidding Period, the Virtual Sale begins. The highest Preliminary Bid (either Kiosk or Internet) at the close of the Preliminary Bidding Period competes against Virtual Bids via BID4U. A Kiosk Preliminary Bid may only be entered for vehicles being sold at the Copart facility where the kiosk is located; a bid placed from one Copart facility on a vehicle located at a different Copart facility is treated as an Internet Preliminary Bid. While many Copart facilities may also provide Internet access through computer terminals available in the lobby, a bid submitted by logging onto one of Copart's websites over the Internet will be treated as an Internet Preliminary Bid, not as a Kiosk Preliminary Bid, regardless of whether the Member is using a computer located at a Copart facility. Only a bid submitted through a designated bidding kiosk will be treated as a Kiosk Preliminary Bid. Members are responsible for requesting instructions from Copart staff at the facility if the Member has any questions regarding where or how to submit a valid Kiosk Preliminary Bid.
- "Internet Preliminary Bidding" - During the Preliminary Bidding Period, Members may log onto Copart's website and submit bids electronically. Internet and Kiosk Preliminary Bids compete as described above. The highest Preliminary Bid (either Kiosk or Internet) at the close of the Preliminary Bidding Period competes against Virtual Bids (see below) via "BID4U" during the Virtual Sale.
- "Virtual Bidding" - Members may log onto Copart's websites during a Virtual Sale to submit bids electronically, in real time over the Internet, to compete with the highest Preliminary Bid and other Virtual Bids.
- Bidding through a "Registered Broker" - Members may sign up with a Registered Broker to bid on vehicles that they may not qualify to buy directly on Copart's websites. When you select a Registered Broker, you will be re-directed to the Broker's website to register with the Broker. If you sign up with a Registered Broker and buy a vehicle on one of Copart's websites, you are buying the vehicle from the Broker, not from Copart. Members who elect to sign up with a Registered Broker to bid on a vehicle offered at Copart's websites are advised to carefully read and understand the Broker's website terms and conditions, including payment terms and conditions, conditions of sale, and fees charged. Registered Brokers are independent of Copart and you should review their qualifications and services offered thoroughly to ensure that they meet your vehicle purchasing needs.
- Bidding through a "Market Maker" - Members may visit a Market Maker to bid on vehicles at Copart's websites. Market Makers do business from a physical location, where you can search for vehicles available for purchase at Copart's websites. If you use a Market Maker to buy a vehicle on one of Copart's websites, you are buying the vehicle from the Market Maker, not from Copart. Members who elect to use a Market Maker to bid on a vehicle offered at one of Copart's websites are advised to carefully read and understand the Market Maker's terms and conditions, including payment terms and conditions, conditions of sale, and fees charged. Market Makers are independent of Copart and you should review their qualifications and services offered thoroughly to ensure that they meet your vehicle purchasing needs.
- "Sealed Bidding" - Members may log onto Copart's websites to bid on certain vehicles offered by insurance companies and vehicle finance companies through Copart's Virtual Internet Exchange ("VIX") and Sealed Bid Repo Sales. Both VIX and Sealed Bid Repo Sales use a sealed bid format. BID4U is not available under this format - bids are accepted at face value.
- "Buy It Now" - Certain vehicles are offered for sale with the "Buy It Now" feature. Buy It Now allows a Member to purchase a vehicle immediately at a price set by the seller before the vehicle goes to auction. Upon clicking the Buy It Now button, the Member will be directed to a confirmation page to confirm the Member's Buy It Now bid. Once the bid is confirmed, the Member will be directed to the payment screen.
- "Make an Offer" - Certain vehicles are offered for sale with the "Make an Offer" feature. Make an Offer allows a Member to make an offer for a vehicle. Offers submitted by clicking the Make an Offer button cannot be retracted and will expire after 2 business days (including the day the offer is made) if not accepted.
- "Live Auction Bidding" - Copart may offer vehicles for sale through a live auction format. All such vehicles are also offered for sale on Copart's websites, with the live auction and Virtual Sale running concurrently. At the live auction Copart will announce Virtual Bids placed on a vehicle and will enter Live Auction Bids placed by Members present in person at the live auction. Live Auction Bids will be visible to Members viewing the Virtual Sale on Copart's websites. Copart will have the ability to extend the bidding time for a vehicle in Copart's sole discretion.
Note: Where permitted by state law, sellers may bid on their own vehicles.
A. Vehicle Condition and History Disclaimer.
Except as otherwise expressly provided by applicable law, ALL VEHICLES ARE SOLD "AS-IS WHERE-IS."
Except as otherwise expressly provided by applicable law, all vehicles sold through Copart are sold "AS-IS WHERE-IS," WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR MERCHANTABILITY. As used in these Member Terms and Conditions, "vehicle(s)" means all items posted for sale on Copart's websites and otherwise offered for sale at Copart facilities, including but not limited to cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, jet skis, industrial equipment, trailers, RV's, etc. "Vehicles" also includes miscellaneous salvage items that are posted for sale on Copart's websites under the heading "Other Goods." However, Members expressly acknowledge and agree that "vehicle(s)" does not mean or include, and Copart does not purport to facilitate the sale of, any cargo or items of personal property which may be contained in a vehicle but are not part of the vehicle. It is the sole responsibility of the Member purchasing a vehicle to take possession and/or dispose of any such cargo or contents in accordance with applicable law.
Copart and its vehicle sellers expressly disclaim the accuracy or completeness of any and all information provided to Members regarding vehicles, whether provided in written, verbal, or digital image form ("Vehicle Information"). Vehicle Information provided by Copart and its vehicle sellers is for convenience only. Members shall not rely on Vehicle Information in deciding whether or how much to bid on a vehicle offered for sale through Copart. Vehicle Information includes but is not limited to: year, make, model, condition, ACV, damage amount, damage type, drivability, accessories, mileage, odometer disclosures, vehicle identification number (e.g. "VIN," "HIN," and serial number), title, repair cost, repair history, title history, and total loss history. Copart and its vehicle sellers expressly disclaim any and all representations, warranties, and guarantees regarding vehicles sold through Copart. Copart does not guarantee that keys are available for any vehicle sold through Copart, regardless of whether keys are present in online vehicle images, or were present in the vehicle prior to the time of purchase. Certain jurisdictions permit vehicles to be sold with missing VIN plates; as a result, Copart does not guarantee that vehicles are equipped with any or all VIN plates. Vehicle parts may be missing. Copart does not guarantee that vehicles meet or can be modified to meet local emission and/or safety requirements. It is the sole responsibility of the Member to ascertain, confirm, research, inspect, and/or investigate vehicles and any and all Vehicle Information prior to bidding on vehicles.
All Members agree that Copart vehicles are sold AS IS and are not represented as being in a road worthy condition, mechanically sound, or maintained at any guaranteed level of quality. The vehicles may not be fit for use as a means of transportation and may require substantial repairs and expense. Repairing or dismantling vehicles on Copart premises is strictly prohibited. All Members must arrange to safely and legally remove purchased vehicles from Copart's facility prior to undertaking any repairs or dismantling.
B. Registration Laws Disclaimer. Copart does not guarantee that any vehicle sold can be legally registered in any state or country, and the Member accepts all risks associated with variations in vehicle title and registration laws between states, provinces, and countries that may negatively impact the marketability of vehicles purchased at Copart. (For example, a vehicle legally purchased on a clean title by a Member at a Copart facility located in State "A" may be required to be sold on a salvage title if Member transports and resells the vehicle in State "B".)
C. DMV/MVD/DOR Paperwork Disclaimers. Copart is not responsible for defects, errors, or omissions (i) related to motor vehicle department or department of revenue paperwork not processed by Copart or (ii) made by any motor vehicle department, department of revenue or other governmental entity.
D. NMVTIS Reporting Disclaimer. Vehicles listed for sale at Copart may have been reported to the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System ("NMVTIS"), and transaction data related to vehicles purchased at Copart may be reported to NMVTIS, in Copart's sole discretion. Each Member accepts all risks associated with purchasing vehicles at Copart resulting from the reporting of the vehicle or the purchase transaction data to NMVTIS by Copart or others. Members may be subject to NMVTIS reporting requirements when purchasing certain vehicles. For more information on reporting requirements, exemptions, and how to obtain a NMVTIS Reporting ID, visit www.vehiclehistory.gov.
E. Disclosure of Member Information. Each Member expressly agrees that Copart may, if and to the extent necessary to comply with applicable law, disclose information regarding Copart's Members and regarding transactions conducted by Members through Copart if requested to do so in any judicial or administrative proceeding or by any governmental agency or regulatory authority (whether by deposition, interrogatory, request for documents, subpoena, civil investigative demand, or otherwise).
II. SALE POLICIES
A. Bid Rejection. Copart reserves the right to reject or void bids for any reason, in Copart's sole and absolute discretion. Should a dispute arise regarding a bid, Copart is the exclusive deciding authority with sole and absolute discretion in resolving disputes. Members agree to indemnify, defend, and hold Copart harmless from any and all liability arising out of decisions made in resolving disputes.
B. Sale Cancellation. Copart may, in its sole and absolute discretion and with or without notice, postpone or cancel a sale or withdraw a vehicle from a sale. Copart will have no liability or obligation to Members as a result of any vehicle withdrawal or sale cancellation or postponement. Further, Copart reserves the right to cancel or reverse a sale transaction in the event of fraud, material misrepresentation, or patent defect in the Vehicle Description or bidding information, as determined by Copart in its sole discretion. In the event a sale is cancelled after the Member has remitted payment, Copart will credit the amount of the payment to the Member's account (or to the Member's credit or debit card used to remit payment, if applicable).
C. Tie Bid Policy. Virtual Bids (and, where available, Live Auction Bids) prevail over Preliminary Bids of equal amount.
D. BID4U. Copart uses BID4U to make the bidding process easier and more efficient. Simply enter a Preliminary Bid representing the maximum price you are willing to pay for the vehicle and BID4U will bid on your behalf up to your maximum bid during both the Preliminary Bidding Period and the Virtual Sale. BID4U will only bid one increment over the current bid to maintain your position as the highest bidder. This allows you the possibility of purchasing a vehicle below your maximum bid. If a bidder with a higher maximum bid outbids you during Preliminary Bidding, you will be notified via email. BID4U is not available for VIX vehicles (see Section II.F. below).
E. Minimum Bids, Bid To Be Approved, and Counter Bidding.
- If (a) the seller designates a vehicle as "Bid To Be Approved" or "On Approval" or (b) the seller designates a Minimum Bid for a vehicle and the high bid in the auction is less than the Minimum Bid amount, then the vehicle will not be released to the Member with the high bid unless and until the seller has notified Copart of its acceptance of the bid. The seller has until 6 p.m. (Pacific Time) on the next business day following the day of the auction to notify Copart of such acceptance.
- Counter Bidding allows sellers who have designated a vehicle as Minimum Bid or Bid To Be Approved to directly counter bid a bidder after the auction ends. The Member acknowledges and agrees that, regardless of any counter bids made by the seller of a vehicle, the Member's high bid on a Minimum Bid or Bid To Be Approved vehicle is an offer that shall remain open to acceptance by the seller until 6 p.m. (Pacific Time) on the next business day after the day of the auction.
F. VIX (Virtual Internet Exchange) and Sealed Bid Repo Vehicles..
- VIX vehicles and Sealed Bid Repo vehicles are still in the seller's possession at the time of bidding and may only be inspected using the images available on Copart's websites. The location of the Copart facility where the vehicle and title may be picked up by the high bidder will appear in the online vehicle listing. VIX and Sealed Bid Repo vehicles are sold "on approval" using a sealed bid auction format. BID4U is not available for these vehicles. In the event of a tie between two or more bidders, the first bid received will be deemed the high bidder. Once submitted, bids can be increased, but cannot be lowered or retracted.
- Copart will notify Members whether a bid has been accepted by the seller within three business days after the listed bidding period ends. Members may also obtain this information by clicking on the "Check Bids" link, the "VIX Action Pending" icon, or the Sealed Bid Repo Action Pending icon within the "Member Account" section of Copart's websites.
- If a Member's bid has been accepted, the Member is obligated to purchase the vehicle, but only if Copart notifies the Member no later than 45 days after bid acceptance that the vehicle and title are available for pick up. Following notification, the Member will have the standard number of days allowed by the Copart facility where the vehicle is located to pick up the vehicle before late-payment and storage fees apply.
- If Copart notifies the Member more than 45 days after bid acceptance that the vehicle and title are available for delivery, the Member may at its option either (i) cancel the sale, or (ii) pay for and take delivery of the vehicle.
- If prior to the vehicle being removed from Copart premises, it is determined that items have been removed or replaced on the vehicle, that additional damage has occurred since the time the Member submitted his/her bid, and/or there is a title type discrepancy, the Member will have the option to purchase the vehicle at the original price or cancel the sale. Odometer readings that differ from the listed mileage by less than 2,000 miles do not qualify for transaction cancellation.
G. Vehicle and Title Release. Copart reserves the right not to release any vehicle or vehicle title for any reason.
H. Bids Entered. Once a bid has been submitted, it cannot be retracted, deleted, or cancelled.
I. Risk of Loss. Each Member takes full responsibility and assumes all risk of loss for all vehicles purchased from the time Copart accepts the Member's bid. From and after acceptance of the Member's bid (for vehicles located at a Copart facility), the Member acknowledges that Copart is acting as bailee of the Member's vehicle until such time as the vehicle is removed from Copart's premises by the Member or the Member's agent or representative. The Member agrees that under the terms of the bailment, (1) Copart shall not be responsible for damage to or loss of the vehicle or parts thereof due to operational procedures in place at all Copart facilities, from acts of theft or vandalism, or acts of God; (2) Copart shall only be responsible for damage to or loss of the vehicle or parts thereof caused by the direct willful or grossly negligent act or omission of Copart; and (3) Copart shall not be responsible for any claim of damage made after the vehicle has left Copart's premises, regardless of whether the Member or any agent, employee or other representative on the Member's behalf picks up the vehicle.
The Member agrees to comply, and to cause its agents and representatives to comply, with all applicable laws and regulations when removing a vehicle from a Copart facility, including properly loading and securing all vehicles for safe travel. Copart personnel may load purchased vehicles for Members upon request; however, in so doing, Copart personnel take no responsibility for ensuring that the vehicles are properly loaded or secured for safe transport. Copart shall in no event be responsible or liable for any damage occurring as a result of unsafe or improper loading or securing of a vehicle for transport and the Member agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold Copart harmless from any and all claims, damages, losses, liabilities, obligations, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees) arising from or related to any failure of the Member or the Member's agent or representative to properly load and/or secure a vehicle for transport.
Once a vehicle is removed from Copart's premises it is accepted AS-IS, and under no circumstances will Copart be liable for subsequent claims of damage or loss of any kind or nature whatsoever. In the event Copart is responsible, damages shall be limited to the lesser of (i) the amount of the diminution in value of the vehicle as reasonably estimated by Copart or (ii) the auction sale price (in which case the Member shall return the vehicle to Copart). Copart may, in its sole discretion, resell the vehicle at a Copart sale, and the difference between the original sale price and the resale price shall be conclusive as to the amount of diminution of value, if any.
J. Offsite Sales. Offsite Sales vehicles will be available for pick up at the designated Copart facility or offsite address indicated. Standard Copart pickup requirements and storage rates apply to vehicles sold from offsite sale locations. If the Member fails to pick up an offsite vehicle within six (6) days of sale, the vehicle may, at Copart's sole discretion, be moved from the offsite sale location to one of Copart's facilities, and if the vehicle has been moved, the Member will be responsible for towing charges from the offsite location to Copart's facility, plus additional storage charges that may accrue from that day onward, for up to 30 days. After the vehicle has been at Copart's facility for 30 days and the towing and storage charges have not been paid, the vehicle will be considered abandoned and Copart will process the vehicle according to applicable law.
K. 1031 Exchange. Vehicles consigned to Copart by a vehicle seller may be sold as part of an equipment exchange pursuant to Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code and the rights of the vehicle seller under the consignment contract may be assigned to a third party qualified intermediary.
L. Timely Removal of Purchased Vehicles. Vehicles purchased and not removed from Copart parking or loading facilities by 4:45 p.m. (local time at the facility) will be moved to the locked storage area and will only be released upon payment of an additional gate and storage fee if applicable.
III. VEHICLE EXPORTS
A. Exporting Purchased Vehicles. The following provisions govern all transactions in which a Member located outside the United States of America ("U.S.") purchases a vehicle from a Copart facility in the U.S. and then transports the vehicle out of the U.S. ("Vehicle Export Transactions"):
- All Vehicle Export Transactions are subject to U.S. export laws and regulations, including but not limited to the Foreign Trade Regulations (the "FTR") and the Export Administration Regulations (the "EAR"). Diversion contrary to U.S. law is prohibited. All Members agree not to export, re-export or permit the re-export of the purchased vehicle to a restricted and/or embargoed country anywhere listed by the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Commerce, or the U.S. Department of Treasury and/or individuals on any denied/debarred party list of the U.S. government. All Members expressly agree to comply with all controls of general applicability under the EAR General Prohibitions found at 15 CFR Part 736.
- Copart offers international shipping services for Members to transport their purchased vehicles to some international destinations. These services may be provided through Copart or one or more its international subsidiaries. Go to copart.com/intlshipping to learn more about international shipping services and to view the applicable terms and conditions. Copart may require that Members in certain countries utilize Copart's international shipping services. A current listing of these countries is available at copart.com/intlshipping.
- Any Vehicle Export Transaction for which the Member elects not to use Copart's transportation services shall be a "routed export transaction" in which the Member will act as the Foreign Principal Party in Interest (the "FPPI") under the FTR and the EAR. As the FPPI, the Member will authorize a U.S. forwarding agent (the "Member's Agent") to facilitate the export of the Member's purchased vehicle from the U.S. by means of a Power of Attorney ("POA") or other authorization, a copy of which the Member will provide to Copart on request.
The Member shall prepare and file any required Electronic Export Information ("EEI") through the Member's Agent. As FPPI, the Member and the Member's Agent shall upon request provide to Copart a copy of any required export information as submitted in the Automated Export System ("AES") by the Member's Agent under 15 CFR 30.3(e)(2). All Members conducting Vehicle Export Transactions agree that Copart will not be the "exporter" for EAR and FTR purposes. Unless a Member elects to use Copart's transportation services, Copart will release the vehicle to the Member's Agent in the U.S.
All Members accept liability for compliance with all U.S. export laws and regulations applicable to routed export transactions. The Member expressly assumes responsibility for determining licensing requirements and obtaining license authority (if any) for the purchased vehicle with this writing as per 15 CFR 758.3(b). The Member's Agent will be the exporter for EAR and FTR purposes. Copart will provide the Member's Agent with the Harmonized Tariff Schedule("HTS") code, Export Control Classification Number ("ECCN"), and other export information required under 15 CFR 30.3(e)(1) upon the Member or Member's Agent's request. To obtain this information, a Member or Member's Agent may send a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the event of an inquiry from U.S. Customs and Border Protection or another government authority regarding a Vehicle Export Transaction, the Member will clarify that this is a routed export transaction and will provide a copy of its executed POA with the Member's Agent.
B. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. All Members are subject to the provisions of the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of1977 ("FCPA"), which prohibits the making of corrupt payments. Under the FCPA, it is unlawful to pay or to offer to pay anything of value to foreign government officials, or employees, or political parties or candidates, or to persons or entities that will offer or give such payments to any of the foregoing in order to obtain or retain business or to secure an improper commercial advantage. Members engaging in Vehicle Export Transactions shall not take actions, or permit actions to be taken on their behalf, which would constitute a violation under the FCPA.
C. Import Requirements. Unless Copart specifically agrees in writing to provide import clearance services to the Member, the Member shall act as "importer of record" or other responsible party (as the case may be) of each vehicle under all import laws of the country of destination and port of discharge and shall be solely responsible for compliance with all import requirements of the country of destination and port of discharge, including the preparation and filing of all required documentation with applicable government authorities, the payment of all import fees, duties, taxes, and any other charges payable upon import of a vehicle, and any required customs inspection and proof of emissions compliance.
A. Member Eligibility. You may sign up as a Member at Copart if you are at least 18 years of age. In addition, state-specific registration requirements and applicable laws, regulations, and restrictions may further limit Member sign up and vehicle purchasing eligibility. Copart reserves the right to deny member privileges to, or exclude from Copart facilities, any individual or entity, in its sole and absolute discretion.
B. Member Types. In order to bid on a vehicle, you must be a Member in good standing.
- Basic Members must register and provide copies of current government issued photo identification as well as licenses and completed sales tax exemption certificates, if applicable. There is no registration fee required for Basic Members, but a security deposit may be required in certain cases in order for the Member to submit a bid (see Section V.H. below).
- Premier Members must register, pay the initial Premier Member registration fee and security deposit, and provide copies of current government issued photo identification as well as licenses and completed sales tax exemption certificates, if applicable.
All Members (Basic or Premier) who purchase vehicles for resale must provide copies of current licenses and completed sales tax exemption certificates. Premier Membership must be renewed annually by paying an annual nonrefundable Premier Member renewal fee and submitting copies of all current licenses (if applicable), and any information regarding change of ownership or address. Copart reserves the right to increase or decrease registration and renewal fees at any time without prior notice to Members.
C. Authorized Bidders/Cardholders. Businesses registered as Premier Members may authorize up to three individuals to submit bids on behalf of the Member, including the owner. Authorization of more than three individuals to submit bids is subject to Copart's discretion and may require payment of additional fees. Premier Members are responsible for removing any individual who is no longer authorized to submit bids on behalf of the Member from the Member's account and the Member is liable for all bids placed on its accounts.
D. Guests. Except where prohibited by law, guests 16 years of age or older are allowed to enter Copart facilities (including during the Preliminary Bidding Period) when accompanied by a Member. Guest passes are subject to a fee where applicable. Guest passes must be displayed at all times. Only Members in good standing are permitted to bid on vehicles.
E. Account Activity. Members are responsible for all account activity, including, without limitation, all Preliminary Bids and Virtual Bids submitted under the Member's username and password through Copart's websites or through terminals located in kiosks at Copart facilities. A Member's account may not be transferred or assigned to any other person or entity. The Member shall promptly notify Copart in writing in the event the Member's account, membership I.D., or username and password are used without authorization. The Member shall be responsible for all account activity and charges incurred prior to Copart's receipt of written notice from the Member of the unauthorized activity.
F. Compliance with Law. Members shall comply with all applicable laws, statutes, ordinances, and regulations regarding their use of Copart's services, including but not limited to laws and regulations regarding the transportation, storage, transfer, resale, dismantling, or retitling of a purchased vehicle. All fines, penalties, fees, and other amounts assessed by a governmental authority as a result of a Member's failure to so comply (collectively, "Vehicle Fines"), including but not limited to parking citations, toll road violations, tax liens, and impound fees, are the Member's sole responsibility and each Member hereby agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Copart from and against all such Vehicle Fines. Copart may assess a processing fee of $75 per item against the Member's account for the receipt and processing of citations, notices, and other legal documents pertaining to Vehicle Fines. Copart further reserves the right to pay upon receipt all Vehicle Fines on the Member's behalf and to charge the Member a fee of up to 150% of the Vehicle Fine amount plus the $75 processing fee, either by deducting such amount from funds held in the Member's Copart account or by charge to the Member's credit card or debit to the Member's checking account on file with Copart. In addition, failure to comply with applicable laws and regulations, including by the timely payment or other resolution of all outstanding Vehicle Fines relating to a Member's purchased vehicles, may result in the Member's buying privileges being suspended or revoked by Copart.
G. Copart Facility Rules. Members and their agents, representatives and guests visiting Copart's facilities must comply with all facility rules and with the reasonable requests and instructions of Copart facility personnel. Members must not remove any items, including any envelopes or paperwork, inside a vehicle and must alert Copart to these items and allow Copart to retrieve them. Anyone caught stealing or damaging vehicles will be arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This includes theft of or damage to any items inside a vehicle or to keys. A $100 reward will be paid to anyone providing information leading to the arrest and conviction of individuals stealing or damaging vehicles at Copart facilities. Members and their representatives and guests visiting Copart's facilities must stay clear of electric fences at all times. Members and their representatives and guests may not bring tools of any kind, including diagnostic code readers and jump boxes, into Copart facilities.
H. Membership Revocation. Copart reserves the right to inactivate, suspend or revoke a Member's account for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion.
I. Release of Liability and Indemnification. Members and their guests irrevocably and unconditionally waive and release their rights (if any) to recover from Copart, its directors, officers, employees, representatives, agents, subsidiaries, partners, and affiliates, and vehicle sellers ("Copart Indemnitees") any and all damages, losses, liabilities, costs, expenses, or claims, whether direct or indirect, known or unknown, or foreseen or unforeseen, which may arise from or be related to bodily injury, property damage, or other loss which occurs on Copart premises. Members agree to indemnify, defend, and hold Copart Indemnitees harmless from any and all damages, losses, liabilities, costs or expenses (including attorneys' fees) arising from claims made by the Member and the Member's guests arising from or related to: 1) bodily injury or property damage occurring on Copart premises, 2) the Member's failure to comply with applicable laws or regulations, 3) the Member's sale or transfer of vehicles to third parties, and 4) claims made against Copart Indemnitees by the Member's guests, agents, employees, or customers. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, WILL COPART INDEMNITEES BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR LOST PROFITS THAT RESULT FROM OR ARE RELATED TO THE SALE, DISTRIBUTION, USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, ANY VEHICLE, EVEN IF COPART INDEMNITEES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Members and guests who are California residents waive California Civil Code 1542, which reads: "A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor."
J. Marketing and Promotional Materials. Members agree they have affirmatively requested to receive marketing and promotional materials via mail, email, push email, facsimile, app, social, media, text message or other then-current methods of communication.
V. FEES, PAYMENT, AND DELIVERIES
A. Fees. All Members agree to pay the member fee and other fees applicable to each vehicle purchase. The current fee schedules may be accessed by registered Members from the "My Account" page of Copart's websites. Member fees apply to all items purchased at a Copart sale, including miscellaneous salvage items sold as "Other Goods." All fees are subject to change without prior notice. The Member is solely responsible for ascertaining applicable fees prior to bidding on a vehicle.
- Payment for vehicles and fees may be made by wire transfer, cashier's check, or money order. Subject to Copart approval and certain additional requirements, payment may also be made by company check, credit or debit card, or electronic funds transfer. In addition, a total of up to $400 may be paid in cash towards any and all fees due (including vehicle sales prices), per Member per day. A more complete description of Members' payment options is available on Copart's websites or by contacting Copart Member Services.
- Members agree to be personally liable for payment of any cashier's check, money order, or check that is dishonored. In the event of a dishonored cashier's check, money order, or check, the Member agrees to make payment within two days after receipt of notice from Copart of a dishonored check, and to pay Copart's NSF processing fee, and any and all collection costs including but not limited to, collection agency fees, and/or attorney's fees and court costs.
- Any Member with an excessive number of unpaid invoices, relist fees or NSF checks will be subject to automatic account suspension and a security deposit requirement in an amount to be determined by Copart in its sole discretion. Copart will retain this deposit as security against unpaid invoices. Copart will return the deposit upon the Member's request if all invoices have been paid, but the Member's account will remain suspended. In the event the Member fails to pay any invoice and the debt is past due, Copart will use the security deposit to satisfy the debt.
C. Sales Tax. Sales tax liability for items sold on Copart's websites is determined based on the physical location of the Copart facility where the vehicle is stored at the time of sale (even if the vehicle is advertised for sale through a Copart facility located in a different taxing jurisdiction). Members purchasing vehicles from Copart at wholesale pursuant to a sales tax exemption certificate agree to indemnify, defend, and hold Copart harmless from any and all sales tax assessments, fines, penalties, damages, and costs, including attorneys' fees, incurred as a result of a determination by taxing authorities that the transaction was subject to the payment of sales, use, or excise tax.
D. Relist Fees. In the event a vehicle is not paid for within the time specified by the Copart facility where the vehicle was sold, Member agrees that Copart may, in its sole and absolute discretion, cancel the sale or relist the vehicle for sale, and the Member shall be responsible to pay a relist fee plus any collection costs, including court costs and reasonable attorney's fees. Relist fees may vary by facility. The Member agrees to verify relist fees prior to bidding on vehicles.
E. Automatic Deliveries. Subject to prior approval by Copart, Members may arrange for automatic delivery by Copart of all vehicles purchased. Storage charges and gate fees may be waived for Members set up with automatic delivery.
F. Payment for Vehicles Delivered by Copart. All fees and charges on vehicles must be paid prior to delivery, if not set up for automatic delivery. STORAGE FEES WILL BE CHARGED ON ALL VEHICLES ASSIGNED FOR DELIVERY AFTER THE PAYMENT GRACE PERIOD HAS ELAPSED. When a delivery in progress cannot be completed, regardless of the reason, the Member will be charged for a dry run both ways, plus storage at prevailing Copart rates. The Member must accept the vehicle when it is scheduled for delivery to avoid dry run and storage charges.
G. Priority of Application of Payments. Payments made by a Member to Copart will be applied in the following order: first towards any unpaid fees (including but not limited to Member registration fees, buyer fees, convenience, storage, loading/gate, late payment, relist, and delivery fees), then towards payment of the sale price of any vehicles purchased by the Member. For example, if a Member makes a payment of $1,000, but has outstanding relist fees of $400, Copart shall apply the first $400 towards the unpaid relist fees, with the remaining $600 applied towards payment for vehicles. The Member agrees that Copart has no duty to release vehicles or vehicle titles until all fees are paid in full.
H. Security Deposits.
- Security Deposit for Basic Members. Copart may require payment of a security deposit before a Basic Member may place a bid on a vehicle. Security deposit requirements may be changed at any time. Current security deposit requirements may be found at copart.com/securitydeposit. A Basic Member may request a refund of any unapplied security deposit online by visiting the Account Information page of Copart's websites. All refunds are subject to confirmation that the security deposit is not applicable to any open bids or unpaid charges. All refunds shall be credited to the credit card used to submit the deposit. In the event the credit card is not valid the refund shall be made by check and mailed to the Member at the Member's address on file with Copart within 30 days of receipt of written request and verification of amount due.
- Security Deposit for Premier Members. Copart will collect a $400 security deposit from all Premier Member applicants. Copart will return the Premier Member security deposit upon the Member's request if all invoices and charges have been paid in full; however, the Member's account will then be downgraded to Basic Membership. In the event a Premier Member fails to pay any invoice and the debt is past due, Copart will use the Premier Member's security deposit to satisfy the debt.
VI. CHOICE OF LAW AND VENUE; ENTIRE AGREEMENT
A. Forum Selection, Venue, Jurisdiction, Choice of Law, and Service of Process. The Member acknowledges and accepts the following as express conditions to membership with Copart:
- Any action or proceeding arising directly or indirectly out of a vehicle bid or purchase transaction shall be conducted in the state/province and county where the vehicle was located at the time the bid was entered or the purchase transaction was consummated, and the substantive laws of such jurisdiction shall apply to such action or proceeding. For example, if a Member bids on or purchases a vehicle that was stored at Copart's facility in Billings, Montana, at the time such bid was entered or such purchase was consummated, any action or proceeding arising out of such bid or purchase must be conducted in Yellowstone County, Montana, and the substantive laws of the State of Montana would apply to such action or proceeding. All other actions and proceedings - i.e., those not arising directly or indirectly out of a vehicle bid or purchase transaction - must be conducted in Dallas County, Texas, and the substantive laws of the State of Texas will apply to such actions and proceedings.
- The Member consents to the forum selection, choice of law, jurisdiction, and venue provisions described above.
- The Member consents to service of process by certified or registered mailing of the summons and complaint to the last address provided by the Member to Copart.
- This section supersedes the venue provisions of the Copart Website Terms of Service as applied to Member disputes involving the bidding on or purchasing of vehicles from Copart.
B. Entire Agreement. These Member Terms and Conditions constitute the entire and sole agreement between the Member and Copart with respect to the subject matter hereof. There have been no representations, warranties, or promises given or made that are not set forth in these Terms and Conditions.TERMS AND CONDITIONS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN NOTICE.